Wednesday 4 March 2009

First Game Review - Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition


A few weeks ago I borrowed Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition from a good friend of mine, so I thought it would be a good idea to make it the first game I would review.




Basically, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is a remake of a survival horror game that orginally came out for the Nintendo Gamecube a few years back.



The thing that really makes this game really stand out from the original is the motion controls. I found aiming around with the Wii remote made the game feel more interactive and challenging.

I actually had pre-ordered and bought the original for the Gamecube, but when I borrowed the Wii Edition version from my friend, I found that I really enjoyed playing through it again. Not only that, but the Wii Edition also adds additional chapters to the original plot.



Aiming in the game is easy and maneuvrable, meaning you can aim at a target with ease. I feel that with controls like these it makes the game more appealing to younger and older people, or people who aren't really into gaming.




I found the game as addictive as I remember it on the Gamecube, and even though I have played through the Gamecube version many times before, I still think this would be worth a purchase considering the controls, updated visuals, and even the fact that additional chapters have been added.




To evaluate, I will go over the games graphics, sound, controls, story, gameplay and lifespan (how long the game will last you).


Graphics: Even now, the games visuals are still amazing in my opinion. Not much has been changed, however they do look a bit more clean and sharp than the original.


Sound: I think the sound is really good, the voice acting is top notch throughout the game. I actually felt the characters stood out more because of the superb voice acting. I felt the sound really adds to the suspense.



Controls: I feel with the motion controls it makes the game more interactive and easier to manage.


Story: The game has an in-depth story, which follows on from the previous games and the film. I found that it seemed to reel me in, and you do get quite into it as the game progress's. You'll find yourself wanting to know what happens next, which makes you want to play through the game even more.



Lifespan: It will take you a good 24-ish hours to play through the story. However, I haven't yet played through the additional chapters, so the game does last a good while. Not forgetting the extra times you'll want to play it. The game also has a survival mode, which involves you fighting against hordes of zombies in one stage, and you must survive before a helicopter comes to pick you up.

I feel the only way the lifespan could be improved is with multi-player, which is apparently being added in Resident Evil 5, which will make that one to buy.



Overall Resident Evil 4 is a fantastic game, almost flawless. I found the game gripping from start to finish, and I can't wait for the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment