Wednesday 18 March 2009

Second Game Review - Call of Duty: World at War


Call of Duty: World at War is the latest addition to the Call of Duty (or CoD as its more commonly known) series.
This entry takes the series back to World War II, but it focuses on the Pacific and Eastern Front. The game runs on the same engine as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (CoD:4) but slightly enhanced.
Like anyone would expect the game really shines when it comes to multi-player. When I got the game I found myself struggling to compete with others in the online multi-player as I hadn't played a Call of Duty game in a long time. However, after playing the game for a while, getting some experience, learning some strategies and unlocking some of the better weapons, attachements and perks, I found it a lot easier and I was able to keep up with some of the more experienced players. The great thing about the multi-player is the amount of weapons, attachments, perks and challenges there are to unlock. Also, when you get 3 kills in a row without dying you unlock a Recon plane, which then shows the positions of all enemies to you and your team mates for 30 seconds, which really does help a lot. After a kill streak of 5 you unlock artillery, which lets you fire artillery on a specific location for around 15-20 seconds. Then at a kill streak of 7 you can release a pack of dogs on the opposing team. I find that if the dogs are after you they can be very irritating.

The single player campaign isin't bad, but I find it does get rather tedious when compared with the online play, but I feel that you should only buy the game if you're going to play online as thats where it really shows its true value.

Just to summarise, I will go over and evaluate the games graphics, sound, controls, story, gameplay and lifespan

Graphics: Some would say the graphics haven't improved much since the last installment and I would agree with that, but there is no doubt that the graphics are still decent for todays standards.

Sound: The sound adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game, running through a battlefield and hearing gunshots, explosions and shouting obviously adds a lot to a war game. The voice acting is top notch throughout the story as well.

Controls: Like most games after half an hour of player you should be used to the controls, so I would say the controls are fairly easy to manage for most players.

Story: I think a lot of players are tired of the World War II theme and preferred Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, so its down to prefrence. I can't comment too well on the single-player mode as I've not gotten too far yet, but from what I've played so far its fine.

Lifespan: Well, if you are only interested in the single player then I wouldn't waste my time with this game. I feel the game only really lasts in the multi-player mode, particularlly the online play. The online mode has so many challenges, weapons, attachments and perks to unlock that it'll last you at least until the next installment

Overall I really enjoyed Call of Duty: World at War, the single player may have been fairly average, but it definitly makes up for it in the multi player.

No comments:

Post a Comment