Wednesday 29 April 2009

Third Game Review - Super Smash Bros. Brawl


For my third game review I have selected to write about Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii.


This game is of the fighting genre, and is rather interesting because it features Nintendo characters (as well as some non-Nintendo characters) duking it out in many various and interesting stages.



Right off the bat I felt Brawl was a huge upgrade to the previous game in the series (Super Smash Bros. Melee) with the addition of tons of new and classic characters and stages. The first time I got into a match I really noticed how the graphics and physics had changed (in a good way).



In all Super Smash Bros. games, the objective is to knock your opponents off the screen to K.O them. As you hit your opponenets they gain a higher chance to be knocked off the screen and K.O'd.


The Smash Bros. series has always been focused on multi-player and not so much single-player.


However, in Brawl you can enter the Subspace Emissary mode, where you must fight through mobs and bosses with an assortment of characters as a story unfolds, and alternativley you can play this mode in co-op.


A new addition to the multi-player mode is Wi-Fi, which allows you to play online with friends or strangers. However I felt that the online play is quite slow, the game often lags while playing in this mode.


Basically this game is for anyone that loves Nintendo, I enjoyed playing as my favorite characters, and my personal favourite is Link, from Zelda. Everything you see in the game is from a classic Nintendo game, and you gain a collection of Nintendo related trophies and stickers just by playing the game. The game was in development for a very long time, so if you're the type of person who has to collect and complete everything in a game then you'll be playing this for a long time.

The games rating is 12+, but the violence is comical and features no blood so I think the game should've been rated as 7+.

Not many players should have a problem with controls, as the game has a lot of input for controllers, for example you can hold the Wii remote sideways and use it that way, but you can also plug in the Nunchuck to the Wii remote and play with it, alternativley you can use the GameCube controller or the Wii classic controller. Personally I think the best choice is to stick with the GameCube control, or else the Wii classic control.


I really enjoyed listening to the soundtrack as it had a lot of classic Nintendo tunes that you can tap your feet to, and if you're anywhere close to being a true Nintendo fan then you'll be doing the same thing.



In regards to the Graphics, I think this game is a real treat for the eyes. I loved seeing even older Nintendo characters in full realistic 3D graphics.



Overall this game is a must buy for any Wii owner.
To summarise I'll just go over the games qualitys:


Graphics: Superb, I don't think you can get any better on the Wii, everything is colourful and cartoony, but yet remains somewhat realistic.


Sound: Again I don't think it could get any better, the game features a ton of classic Nintendo tracks and you can even unlock more.


Gameplay: To be honest you'll find the game shines brightest in the multi-player mode, however I don't think the Wi-Fi mode is up to standards as it does lag and run slowly quite a lot in my experience. The new single-player/co-op modes are awesome as well, I really enjoyed running my way through the single-player story.


Lifespan: It'll last you for a long time to say the least, especially if you're the type who has to collect everything in a game. You will probably tire of it after a few months though and only turn it on now and again.


Overall I'd say this game is a necessary if you have a Wii, its playable by the whole family and succeeds at fulfilling what it promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment